Thursday, May 4, 2017

One of the unforgettable days ...

I will never forget this day ... !!!
The vicious earthquake had already struck and created havoc in Nepal. This was the day when I was traveling back from India. Torn between the wish to stay back and spend a little more time with my then recuperating father and at the same time feeling the need to be in Pokhara at the earliest for my dear friends and loved ones ... My sweet thoughtful and anxious loved ones in India and specifically my cousins were absolutely against my early return. They wanted me to delay by few more months as they thought that Nepal was still not safe. As always, I prayed about it and found peace with my decision to go ahead.
Before leaving for the airport, I was at this hotel restaurant about to have breakfast and suddenly this strange and very strong fear and apprehension gripped me. It just flashed to me - what if, this breakfast would be the last meal of my life !!!! What happens if I don't even make it to Pokhara and I die trapped under the hotel rubble in Kathmandu itself where I was supposed to have a overnight stay. Etc etc etc .... It was terrifying !!! There was this delightful, assorted display of buffet breakfast right in front of me and for sometime I totally lost my appetite. I grappled with my fears and when I thought I couldn't, I prayed for strength​ and guidance. By the time I was done praying, I felt a fresh surge of strength and love flowing through me. And as a mark of my new found strength, I had a hearty breakfast and proceeded​ towards the airport.
I called up a dear in Nepal, from the airport and expressed my concerns. I also gave him my hotel address just in case something bad happens, so he knows where I'll be found, dead or alive. He told me not to die and thoughtfully advised me to stay awake in the hotel, make a note of all the exit gates and ask for a room on the lower floor. By God's grace nothing happened and I'm grateful to God that I'm alive to tell this story .. 

No comments:

Post a Comment